Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Hands On Learning (Part II): Exeriments, Experiments, Experiments!

     
 
 
      Allergies are kicking our butts this week, so a majority of what we've done is worksheets.  However, the kids and I have done a few experiments to pass the time between swimming, games, and my reading. 
      The first one we did was a density experiment.  This was a home run as far as experiments go.  It's simple, fun, and educational- which is, of course, the goal for this summer.  You will need: a pitcher of water, vegetable oil (we used Wesson, but you can use whatever kind you would like or have in your kitchen), a jar (I made spaghetti that night, so I took the three jars I used and cleaned them for the kids to do the experiment with.), salt & pepper (for the observation part), and blue food dye. 
 
      It honestly depends on how many kids you plan on doing the experiment with, but with three kids I thought a pitcher of water would be safe- taking spills into consideration.  We took it step by step, so I could ask each kid their observations on the project. 
      Step One: Fill each jar half way up with water.  I allowed the middle girl to do this, so she could do something.  About half way through it, she decided she wanted to go inside, so I did the rest. 
      Step Two: Add a little bit of food dye.  I took the tip of a safety knife, and used some blue food dye.
      Step Three: Measure out 2/3 vegetable oil and pour it into the water.  When I asked what was happening, the twins very excitedly told me that we made a lava lamp.
      Step Four: Sprinkle salt in your "lava lamp", and watch the oil move up and down.  Now, you can end the experiment here, but we carried it on with pepper.  The twins were less enthused with the reaction with the pepper.
      Step Five: SHAKE IT!  Shake it like you've never shaken it before!!!  Since there were three, I decided that we should have a constant and a variable.  The twins shook, while I allowed the third to settle. 
 
      I think all-in-all that it was good fun.  I highly suggest doing this with elementary age children, not only for the education purposes, but for their reactions.  It's priceless!!! 
 
 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment