Wednesday, August 5, 2015

How Art Helps Mental Health

      ***ATTENTION: If you do not believe in mental illness, or criticize those who have a mental health issue, I suggest you go click the little x in the right corner.  Thank You.***


      I've heard a lot of different arguments about art.  The most popular among the "haters" is: "These so called "artists" need to get a real job, instead of doing nothing."  (Which, FYI, it's really hard work to make something pretty.) 
      I've heard that Fan Art is not real art. (Which, it totally is.  It takes as much effort and creativity to create a piece from an existing T.V. show, book, song, etc..)
      I've heard that art is pointless, and that schools shouldn't be offering it.
      This is why I chose this topic, since it such a hidden controversy. 
      I have a friend who is going to college, studying to be an art therapist.  I had never heard of the profession before, but art therapy is commonly used throughout other therapy options for those who cannot voice their feelings. 
      (If you read my previous post, The Truth About Self Image: Positive vs. Destructive, then you will know my viewpoints on therapy and such.  If you haven't, then I suggest you read it, because this is sort of a follow up post on it.)
      It was suggested to me by my doctor that I use art to give my feelings a voice. 
    
 
      When I first was diagnosed with PNES, I did this piece.  I never gave it a name (partially because I'm horrible at that sort of thing), and I didn't feel the need to.  When I showed it to my doctor, he made me draw random things in our sessions, like: trees, houses, fields, etc..  Finally, he asked me to take a shading pencil, use my left hand (since I am right-handed), and scribble some emotion out.  At first I thought what you are probably thinking: "That's weird.  Like, really weird."  But, I did it, and the pit in my stomach started to alleviate. 
      Art relieved my anxiety and depressed feelings.
      Soon (after getting supplies and such), I began to make it a little more routine to do my art.  This was also around the time I got into Doctor Who, so I also did Fan Art.
 
Top left: "Angels Take Manhattan"
Top right is a Cyberman
Bottom left: "Come Along Ponds"
Bottom left is a portrait of Ten and Rose
 
 
      The art actually helped my pain. 
      It gave me a voice when I was voiceless. 
      It made it a little bit more manageable.
 
 
      I think that art therapy is a brilliant way to help anyone.  Yes, I'm biased on this.  I think that it should be used more.  I also think that it should be incorporated more in the schools.
      There is scientific proof that art helps improve mental health.  There's a quote from a jazz artist: "Then why am I so screwed up?" (Huffington Post interviewed a few people about this subject.) "But without music I'd be a lot more screwed up and would be missing the thing that gives me the most happiness in my life." 
       To me, his quote says something.
       But, then again, it's all in opinion.  You all know my opinion- that art helps your mental state, but the question is: what's your opinion?




2 comments:

  1. I love your pieces! Art is my therapy too. I have complex PTSD and anxiety and I have no idea what I would do without my art! It definitely needs to be used more in schools and therapies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Art has definitely helped with my PNES and anxiety. Today, they are cutting art funds from school and students who express themselves in that class are suffering.

      Delete