Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Time Lord Tuesday


      It's Time Lord Tuesday!
      Today marks the second day in Geek Week; it's also one of my favorite topics.
      Anyone who has read my Doctor Who: Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith Era posts, knows just how much I adore the British television show.


      Doctor Who is one of those shows that are truly crazy and unpredictable.  And, it's no use trying to guess what's going to happen next, because you will more than likely be completely wrong.  If it's a Moffat episode, we Whovians call it a Moffat loop.
      I have watched some of the classic series, but am at the Third Doctor, so I will tell you about what I know well (9-11.) 
      

      I began Doctor Who with the Ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston.  Nine regenerated (The Doctor gets a new body and personality, while having all the same memories, whenever he gets into a fatal situation.  One body dies, another is born.) right after the Time War, a time period in the Doctor's life that he isn't proud of and wishes he could forget.  I think since he just came out of war, and has killed more than he would care to admit, he tries to make up for it by saving all these people in the universe. 
      When I first started watching the show, the first thing I was drawn to was his sarcasm.  He's a hero, but at first glance you wouldn't think it because of how rude and frank he is.


      The first series of the new Doctor Who series is also where we meet Rose Tyler, who is a very important person in the Doctor's life.  She shows the Doctor that he isn't all bad, and helps him grow as a person.  They go on many adventures, see many things, and become great friends- though us, Whovians, saw there was another factor to them.
      Ultimately, he regenerates trying to save Rose.


      Hello there, Mr. Tennant!!!
      David Tennant played the Tenth Doctor, following Christopher Eccleston.  Contrary to the sarcastic, always running Nine, Ten was very funny, yet broody and serious.  I suppose that's something we love about him.  I'm not going to lie- my two favorite characteristics about him is A) his hair B) his accent.
       His companions are in this order: Rose, Martha, and Donna.  I already went over Rose with Mr. Eccleston.  The only difference is with the Tenth Doctor, there was much more of an unspoken romance between him and Rose.  I do believe I cried a river when he and Rose parted ways.  
       Martha was next.  A lot of people like 
Martha, but, personally, I do not like her because she is always coming on to the Doctor when he is still getting over Rose.  Don't get me wrong, though!  She's brilliant!  But, after a short run with The Doctor, she leaves him and joins U.N.I.T. after helping The Doctor one last time.
       Donna had a longer run than Martha.  At first I didn't like her very much, but she proved to be companion worthy when we see her the second time.  (She refused to join The Doctor the first time, but eventually does join him as his companion.)  Donna is different than the other companions.  She is sassy, and doesn't just follow The Doctor.  Oh, the two of them had a wonderful run.  
       

         I was sad to see Ten go, but excited to see what happens next.  


        This.  This is what was next.  
        Eccleston was a tiger.  Tennant was a Tiger (like the character from Winnie the Pooh.)  Matt Smith was an uncoordinated house cat, whose famous saying, "Bow ties are cool", is forever seared on my two hearts.
         If I have to pick my favorite Doctor, it would be the Eleventh, because he is just so childish.  He's carefree, yet so serious at the same time.  
        In first episode, The Eleventh Hour, we also meet his long time companions: Amelia Pond and Rory Williams.  Oh, I loved Amy and Rory.  For the longest time, they were the focus for Eleven, and he was content with his best friends- The Legs and The Nose (Impossible Astronaut saying.)
         Then he meets River, and, Oh. My. God, I didn't think it could get any better!  They had such a relationship, The Doctor and River Song.  I mean, they actually were together together- openly admitted too!  River was... something else.  She was sassy, full of life, and hell in high heels.  In other words, she was one of the most important people in Eleven's life, part of his little family.


        Then, when Amy, Rory, and River were all gone, we meet Clara Oswald.  The Impossible Girl.  A lot of people don't like Clara, but I really don't know why, because she fits so well with The Doctor.  She's really snarky, and keeps him in check.  And, unlike all the other companions, she doesn't live in the T.A.R.D.I.S. with him.  She still maintains her life, and goes on adventures with him.
       

         And, so, here we are.  At number Twelve.  I can't say much on Peter Capaldi, because I only just met him a few days ago.  However, I can say: Clara is still with him.  She is still snarky.  And I think I am going to like this guy.
         


No comments:

Post a Comment