Thursday, August 27, 2015

Lego Thursday


      Today is Thursday, August 27, 2015.
      AKA Lego Thursday!


      My brother and I really like Lego's, and he builds with them quite often.  (I can't, because I become too frustrated.)  So, naturally, I asked if he would want to help me with this little exposé.
      While I wrote my paper for school, I gave him the time to make a couple of structures.  During one of my breaks, I asked what he was making, and he said, "A phone holder, a control holder (for Wii remotes), and a zip line box."


      Lego's are small building bricks that can connect to one another.  Children use these in their playrooms, making silly creations.  This toy can "create anything, and build everything," (I looked up what Lego users say about Lego's.) and can, "help you understand how to be creative and build things on your own."  I think that that statement is spot on, because it is important that we teach children from a young age how to use critical thinking skills, and give them a chance to show their creativity.
Some of the stuff my brother builds truly astounds me, and I'm always pleased to see what he's built.


      Not only do you have generic Lego, Lego users, who also play Minecraft, have Minecraft Lego's, which I thought was really fun to build.  They sell sets at Toys R Us and Books A Million!.
       To add to my brother's holders and zip line box, I decided to be a kid again and play with the Lego's.  On Pinterest, a popular social media site, I saw ways to incorporate Lego's in the classroom.  As a future teacher, I wanted to see if this could be useful.
       I built a bacteria model, which can be easily copied, and, for all you chemistry lovers out there, I made molecules.
      Here is my bacteria model, which I am quite proud of:


      After doing this bacteria model, I thought that this is a very smart way to represent parts of the cell, and could do this as an activity.  In Biology, you learn about plant and animal cells, so doing an activity similar to this could be very beneficial rather than just drawing a model.


      The molecules were harder to do, but if I were a chemistry teacher, or if I home schooled my child and were in the chemistry unit, or just simply wanted to show some examples, I'd use Lego's to show examples of bonding and such.
       And, for your personal enjoyment: my father fooling around with the Lego's.  Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment